ruan123ParticipantTopics: 580 Replies: 0
<div id=”content_id”> Employee motivation is linked to both employee productivity and job performance. While some would argue that fear of redundancy is one of todays most powerful motivators in the workplace Authentic Rudy Gobert Jersey , organisations will always need the most talented individuals to succeed. Whilst keeping them motivated during a recession can be tough as budgets are frozen and bonuses are slashed there are alternatives to cold, hard cash to help keep your workforce onside in these difficult economic climes. Psychologists have been studying motivation for decades; from Spranger s identification of individual attitudes in the 1920 s to Maslow s hierarchy of needs in the 1950 s, through to Hogan s taxonomy of motives, values and interests in the 1990 s and beyond. They have reviewed and categorised the values, interest and preferences that motivate us to behave in the ways we do. As business psychologists at Pearn Kandola we understand what motivates people in organisations, so here are our top tips for managers motivating on a budget:
1. Know your workforce Im not sharing any trade secrets when I say that your workforce is made up of individuals living, breathing people Authentic Rodney Hood Jersey , who all have their own personalities, thoughts and motivations. Rule number one is that Managers should identify individual motivators in their team (aside from money) and target their actions accordingly.
2. Recognition this has been identified by eminent psychologists such as Henry Murray as a key motivator. The most obvious way to do this is through positive feedback. Although it may be forgotten, particularly in times of pressure and stress, a simple pat on the back can give people a real boost. However, avoid overusing this or being too general youre doing a great job has much less impact than thank you for the additional work you put in to the report, the board were really impressed with the new ideas it contained.
Otherwise, try including a mention in the company newsletter or acknowledgement in a public meeting. But remember Authentic Pete Maravich Jersey , while some people will revel in the public praise, others will cringe and want the world to swallow them up so refer back to Rule Number One know your staff!
3. Power defined by psychologists as the need for control, challenge and getting ahead, some people are motivated by power. While there may be a recruitment and promotion freeze on, are there any opportunities to motivate your staff by offering them increased responsibility or a high status project that will allow them to raise their profile?
4. Hedonism other staff may be motivated by opportunities for excitement, pleasure and variety, even at work! The entertaining budget may have been cut to nothing but having a project catch up meeting in an art gallery caf Authentic Karl Malone Jersey , a review in the park on a sunny day, or bringing in freshly baked croissants for a breakfast meeting wont break the bank. Alternatively, to reward hard work without increasing outgoings are you able to offer an additional days holiday or an enrichment day? Some people may even pick these above a salary increase if given the choice.
5. Altruism some of your staff may be motivated by a concern for social justice and improving society. For them, if a pay freeze means that their hard work cannot be rewarded with a rise could a community day be offered instead? This reward would allow someone to take time to help others in their community it could even build relationships with potential clients! If workloads have dropped significantly, are there opportunities to offer unpaid leave for charity or voluntary work?
6. Affiliation company and social interaction can also be a powerful motivator for individuals, so dont forget to allow time for this. Where heads are down and people are working hard, there may be less opportunity for water cooler catch ups. However Authentic John Stockton Jersey , there may be options for lunchtime get togethers. For example, bring your own lunch for a picnic in the park or, alternatively, after work social activities. These dont necessarily need to be sponsored and paid for by the company. Again, these wont be for everyone (see Rule number one) and should be varied to make sure everyone who wants to be can be included so make sure its not always five a side football or trips to the pub.
7. Security at a physical level security is one of the more basic items in Maslow s hierarchy of needs. However, many people are also motivated at a psychological level by a concern for security and minimising risk, otherwise known in the workplace as job security. Those who are strongly motivated by security are likely to find the current climate particularly difficult. Managers can help these people to identify what is within their control to help increase both the performance of the organisation and Authentic Joe Johnson Jersey , therefore, their job security. This could be done by identifying the links between the role and the performance of the organisation. This can also be achieved through feedback being clear on what constitutes good performance and how performance can be improved. This can help to motivate by giving a greater sense of control.
8. Business performance some people are motivated by targets and achieving their goals. Current targets might seem unattainable or unrealistic in this financial climate, and have the potential to demotivate these individuals. As a manager, review these targets: there may be no scope to change them but can you put in place additional, more achievable targets for them to work towards? For example, in addition to sales targets, could you also set business development activities targets? Alternatively Authentic Jeff Hornacek Jersey , are there ways to breakdown targets to make them seem more manageable?
Overall though, the key to motivating people is to treat them as individuals a thank you bottle of champagne for someone who doesnt drink is about as motivating as a Liverpool scarf Learning to speak .</div>
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.